MatchPoint Times

Home

Trump signs order ending duty-free treatment for cheap shipments from China

Cover Image for Trump signs order ending duty-free treatment for cheap shipments from China

More than 90% of all packages coming into the US now enter via ‘de minimis’, and of those, about 60% come from China, led by direct-to-consumer retailers such as Temu and Shein.

WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump signed an executive order on Wednesday that closes a trade loophole known as “de minimis” that has allowed low-value packages from China and Hong Kong to enter the US free of duties.

Trump signed the order, which takes effect at 12.01am Eastern Time (0401 GMT) May 2, in the Rose Garden of the White House after announcing sweeping new tariffs on global trading partners.

The White House said the move, first reported by Reuters earlier on Wednesday, came after commerce secretary Howard Lutnick certified “adequate systems are in place to collect tariff revenue” on the shipments.

Tags:allowed low-value packagesChina and Hong Kongcloses trade loopholede minimisenter the US free of dutiesHoward Lutnicktakes effect on May 2Trump executive order


US tariff to have ‘significant’ impact, GDP forecast to be revised

The US measures were more severe than even our most conservative assumptions, says the ministry of investment, trade and industry.

🟡FMT Reporters

China retaliation on US farm goods hits soybeans, bolstering Brazil

Brazil will be by far the main beneficiary, the biggest supplier that can replace US soybeans to China, says Rabobank.

🟡Reuters