GENEVA: The United Nations independent fact-finding mission on Sudan said Thursday it had concluded that the paramilitary siege and capture of El-Fasher bore “the hallmarks of genocide”.
The probe said the Rapid Support Forces’ seizure of the Darfur city in late October last year inflicted “three days of absolute horror”, and demanded that the perpetrators be brought to justice.
“The scale, coordination, and public endorsement of the operation by senior RSF leadership demonstrate that the crimes committed in and around El-Fasher were not random excesses of war,” said the mission’s chairman Mohamad Chande Othman.
